So I was reading an article about money saving tips on msnbc.com the other day, and it had a link for an article on money saving tips for new parents. Since I have some friends who are new parents, and some day Marcus and I will be new parents (no, not yet, Mom, Jeanette), I decided to check it out.
The second tip was about using cloth diapers instead of disposable ones. I thought “Ya right, who uses cloth diapers anymore, at least in this country?” The writer suggested just researching cloth diapers a little bit before rejecting them on the spot, since there have been a lot of improvements in them. Well, that piqued my curiosity.
Oh my goodness! Have you seen cloth diapers today? Seriously. They are totally different than the old fashioned safety pin kind. There are all in one diapers, which are a lot like disposable diapers, pocket diapers with absorbent inserts, size adjustable diapers, etc. They have elastic on the legs and back, Velcro or snap closures, adjust for a snugger fit, and come in lots of different colors. Who knew?

Most of the improvements and recent redesigns of cloth diapers have been made by mothers whose infants could not use disposable diapers due to persistent diaper rash. These were mothers who were busy, many worked outside of the home, and so they wanted cloth diapers that were as convenient as disposable diapers. I am totally impressed with what these women did with cloth diapers.
Marcus and I may use these when we do have a baby (still not yet, Mom, Jeanette). After all, they are quite a bit cheaper than disposable diapers and are much better for the environment. I just wish I knew somebody who was using them now. Maybe I should buy some for Christopher and Landry and let the Delcambres and Duggans try them out first!



2 comments:
Ha! My poor kid would always have a bare bottom at the rate I do laundry!!!
Seriously, cloth diapers have come a LONG way. I actually knew about all of thexe improvements before making my decision to use disposables. I guess when it came right down to it I didn't want to make the time commitment. It does make me a little nauseated when I think about how many diapers JUST my kid has contributed to a landfill somewhere.
I wanted to use cloth diapers with my first baby but I didn't get a very easy kind to use and gave it up. If you get the right kind, they can really work. I have a few friends who are using them right now and love them. One key is do you have an area where you can rinse diapers like a utility sink in a laundry room. If so, then it's much easier to keep going with cloth diapers.
Post a Comment