Tonight both presidential candidates gave interviews in front of several thousand people at evangelical pastor Rick Warren’s church, Saddleback Church in California. You can read about it here
Like I mentioned in an earlier blog, I am a pro-life democrat. For the first time ever a pro-life democratic politician, Senator Bob Casey of Pennsylvania, will speak at this year’s Democratic National Convention. This is a very big deal. Also, language will likely be added to the party platform that discusses the goal of decreasing the number of abortions, also a big deal.
Of course for many evangelicals, abortion is the issue when deciding who to vote for, but increasingly evangelicals are moving toward other issues as well, such as global poverty and the environment. Because of that, Obama is expected to do much better than past democrats with evangelicals, especially those under 40.
Personally I find all of this very exciting. Anything that gets Christians to reflect on and/or question the long held assumption that the Republican Party (and its policies) is the only political party for Christians is a good thing.
You can watch Obama’s discussion with Rick Warren here, here, and here
You can watch McCain’s discussion with Rick Warren here, here, and here
Reaching for Momma!
12 years ago



1 comments:
That's pretty cool that there are some pro-life democrat politicians out there! I have to say, that is one of the main reasons I tend to vote republican. Not the only reason, but one of the important ones.
Post a Comment