Friday, June 6, 2008

Story Time

Greetings again. It's me, Marcus.

I come from a family of story tellers. My brothers like to tell them (check out my brother's latest blog posting), my dad had some really good ones, and you might have even heard me tell a few...all true of course. But there's a story that my Grandpa would tell that is absolutly great. I had never heard the story until just a few years back, and I probably can't tell it as well as he could, but here's how I remember it.

My great grandfather (Grandpa's dad) and his brother were out one day on the farm, and the brother was chopping wood. My Great-Grandpa came up to him in true brotherly fashion and proceeded to annoy the axe-weilder. by sticking his foot up on the chopping block. Well, the axeman tells him to move his foot or he'll chop it off; and of course Great-Grandpa didn't belive him, and so he left his foot there. As you can imagine, the brother with the axe refuses to be beaten by his sibling, so he takes a swing at Great-Grandpa's foot and manages to whack off a toe. That's right, he chops his toe right off!

Now, that's a fantastic, yet true, story in and of it's own accord. Two brothers out on the farm with an axe and a newly severed toe. You think that's the end of the story; but this is where Grandpa would surprise you. Because lo and behold, after the toe is chopped off, nothing shocks you more than to hear that a rooster runs up, picks up the fallen toe, and eats it!

Like I said, this is how I remember the story. I'd be interested to hear how other members of the family remember it.


Marcus, Special Guest Blogger

1 comments:

KathyC said...

That's how i remember the story,but with one question. I thought that event happened to Gpa's brothers, not his dad and uncle? but maybe i ahve that wrong. but the story itself is just i remember it.
The Carroll boys - for at least 3 generations -- are all good story tellers. :)