I found out something this evening that got my feminist sensibilities all riled, former Texas gubernatorial candidate, and all around good ole' boy misogynist, Clayton Williams, has been fundraising for Senator McCain. Williams ran against Ann Richards in 1990 and was sure to win until he demonstrated his incredible sleaziness and stupidity with his now infamous statement comparing rape with the weather "As long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it." It made national news, and of course Richards won the election.
McCain's campaign said they were unaware of Mr. Williams' comments in 1990. Today, McCain's campaign cancelled a scheduled fundraiser with Williams but they plan to keep the $300,000 Williams already raised for the campaign.
Here is a link to the article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25166151/
I am once again very disappointed in Senator McCain. You would think a man who has experienced being held against his will and tortured would be more sensitive to any “joke” belittling violence, and would not want any connection to Williams. Not to mention this association is not going to help him win over women voters, which his campaign is very eager to do. I also find it very hard to believe that his campaign staff did not know about this incident. (Although it's possible McCain himself did not know about it). I was 12 years old in 1990 and I remember it very well.
I'll definitely be buying that anti McCain sticker now. (Assuming he wins the election and doesn't do the right thing and return the money).
Reaching for Momma!
12 years ago



0 comments:
Post a Comment