I just came across something on Mike’s blog that made this sociologist all giddy. As I’m sure you’re all aware, Senator Obama’s middle name is Hussein. His father was a Kenyan Muslim and Hussein is a family name. Many ultra conservative windbags in the media get a kick out of referring to Senator Obama by his full name in an ill disguised attempt to play on the public’s irrational fear of anyone who is different from the cultural norm. (To Senator McCain’s credit he has said repeatedly that he finds this practice unacceptable).
Apparently a movement to adopt the middle name Hussein has begun among some Obama supporters in an effort to make Americans more familiar with the name, and to expose both the silliness of not voting for someone because of their given name and the underhanded sleaziness of the fear and hate mongers. I won’t bore you with the various sociological theories that help explain the fear of a different sounding name or why this protest was a predictable outcome of the exploitation of that fear. I just love a good example of sociological theory in everyday life!
Here is a link to the NY Times Article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/us/politics/29hussein.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1214867440-s763gzjPTZr679fJcZAlkg
You can join the facebook group (started by a political science prof at Harding) here:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=52566360200&ref=mf
Reaching for Momma!
12 years ago



0 comments:
Post a Comment