Abilene is a small town. Sure it's got 116k people, but it still has a small town mentality and culture. I drive 6 minutes to work, our traffic lights start flashing at 9pm, it takes you 15 minutes to get across town, we only have one mall, 4 movie theaters (none of which show the same movies), and only 3 Starbucks. (Of course, the small town feel is one of the things I like about Abilene, and so I like to poke fun at it.)

However recently, we have seen evidence that suggests Abilene is growing up. For instance, all over town there have been
appearing these fancy ginormous digital billboards that cycle through a slideshow of digital advertisements and announcements. I know! who would have thought that little ol' Abilene would have such high tech signage. Of course it's the talk of the town:
"Hey, have you seen the new billboard out by the Wal-Mart?!"
"I know, they should show movies on those things!"
"I keep getting distracted by it and missing the green light."
...and so on and so on. Now don't get me wrong, I'm excited about them too. In fact that first quote was me. I just think it's funny.
But what I really find funny, and an indication that Abilene isn't all that grown up yet, is that they shut the signs off every night sometime before midnight.
I think it's comical, that's all.
Marcus, SGB



1 comments:
ok. how's this for lame? neither Cory nor I knew the signs turned off! we don't get out much after 9 anymore!
Post a Comment