Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Speech

Did you see the speech from the young man who won the Oscar last night for best original screenplay? If not, here is the clip.



This speech just makes me profoundly sad. I’m not really interested in the issue of gay marriage in the post, but rather the disappointing job the church has done in addressing homosexuality in general. Just the fact that he feels the need to say “no matter what anyone tells you, God does love you.” Wow, talk about a condemnation of contemporary Christianity on this issue.

It immediately made me think of Romans 8:35 “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?” Maybe if Paul was writing today he could add or judgy Christians to that list.

There is a whole lot more I could say on this subject, but I think I’ll just leave it at that for now.

0 comments: