Monday, June 8, 2009

Should..Should..Should...

I haven’t seen my therapist since February because she retired. We both agreed that I didn’t need to see her regularly anymore (I’m cured ;-), but she is available if/when I need her.

Anyway, just because I’m not in therapy anymore doesn’t mean I’m not still learning stuff about myself. Recently, I realized another area in which I “should” myself constantly.

I suppose some people might envy those who are traveling across Europe, like my friend Irene; raising super cool little kids, like too many of my friends to even count (you know who you are); writing some pithy, hilarious, and popular blog like my blogger friend Kristina; trying to improve Non Muslim/Muslim relations in the U.S. like Marcus’ friend Kara; living a super fun life in New York City like my cousin Meredith; but not me.

Instead, I compare whatever interesting thing they’re doing with whatever uninteresting thing I’m doing, and immediately think something along the lines of “Why aren’t I doing something that interesting (or important or fun or active or cool or whatever)? I should be doing something that interesting.”

Should, should, should. It’s very tiring constantly thinking of all the things you should be doing. I suspect that it is more tiring than actually doing any of those things. (Ok, well maybe not parenting).

Anyway, I don’t have a solution to this particular should problem. I just find it interesting. The really funny thing is that I'm pretty sure I thought that way on occasion even when I was teaching full-time at a university at the age of 23. That in and of itself is pretty interesting.

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

It's not all that it's cracked up to be, my friend!

And teaching at 23 is completely amazing. I was taking children away from their drug addicted parents at that age. It all evens out.

jeanette said...

Just learn to say "Hey, that would be really fun...an incredible experience...such a learning experience...etc! I'm so glad they can do that!" Hey, I think that your cruises and the experiences you're having on them are awesome!! Just enjoy every day for what you get to do and if you have the urge to do something "wow-some", figure a way to do it. You & Marcus are both super creative at that! Love ya, Gal :)