Monday, May 19, 2008

Why I Like Living in Abilene

  • In general people are polite. A few days ago I was fourth in line in the left turn lane. The arrow went from red to green, but the first car didn’t go. A LOT of time went by and no one honked. In Memphis they honk if you don’t go while the light is changing from red to green.

  • I love our neighborhood. Since we live kind of in the middle of town, everything worth going to is pretty close by, and our area of town is economically and racially diverse. Also, our neighborhood is older, so we have actual trees.

  • Total lack of traffic. We don’t have to plan our outings based on the traffic at that time of day, because there isn’t any.

  • Numbered streets. This is very good for me since I have NO sense of direction.

  • My gynecologist. Dr Ameeta Kapu is the best doctor I’ve ever had!

  • Eating lunch with Marcus. Since it only takes about 5 minutes for Marcus to get to work, we get to eat lunch together everyday.

  • Coldstone Creamery. Abilene actually has one. I’ll probably blog more about that later since Coldstone employees have complemented me more than once on my ice cream creations.

  • Citywide smoking ban. Smoking is illegal in public places. It’s weird to go to another city and have the restaurant hostess ask if we want the smoking or non smoking section.

  • Our church. Marcus and I really like our preacher, Mike Cope (a link to his blog is on the left), and we are so happy with the direction the church is heading under the elders, especially in the areas of community outreach and women’s roles in the church.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

very funny about your ice cream creations! you'll have to post what some of the best ones have been - I'd love to try them. i think you and i probably have very similar ice cream tastes!!!

Amanda said...

I think we do!!