Monday, December 22, 2008

what's playing on my ipod Monday


I absolutely love Christmas. The decorations, the food, the friends and family, the presents, it’s all great, except Christmas music. I really, really dislike Christmas music.


The problem with Christmas music is that there are like 10 well written Christmas songs. That’s it. Of course you can’t just repeatedly play those 10 songs, so hundreds of bad Christmas songs get thrown into the mix. Also, those 10 songs have one version that sounds good. You know, Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas”, Nat King Cole’s “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire.” Yet, for some unknown reason every musician and their dog (literally, you’ve heard the barking “Jingle Bells”) thinks that they need to record a Christmas album. They do not.

Anyway I felt the need to make my selection this week a Christmas song since we are only 3 days away from Christmas. I decided to use the instrumental version of “Sleigh Ride”, mainly because I've performed it many times in band over the years and it really is a lot of fun.

So enjoy one of the handful of good Christmas songs, “Sleigh Ride”, performed by the Boston Pops Orchestra.



2 comments:

Amanda said...

I hear ya on the Christmas music! You picked a good one, though! Bethany enjoyed listening to it, too. :)

Casey & Lauren Coats said...

Actually, our minister, Paul inserted "I, Casey, promise to always root for the Texas A&M Aggies" into the vows. Casey is a longhorn and I am an Aggie :) & everyone was laughing pretty hard :)