It’s funny how you can see something that will trigger memories about someone who passed away and make you just really miss them all of the sudden. The missing them can almost feel just like it did the moment when they passed away. Today I was missing my good friend and mentor Dr. Charles Trevathan.
I came across something today that made me miss him even more. I’m thinking about replacing my vote Obama bumper sticker with a new one since the election is over. As I was looking through all the Obama victory stuff on cafepress.com I found this t-shirt design:
That image reminded me of a framed set of pictures Charles had in his office that he would take into his Cultural Diversity class when they discussed the African American Civil Rights Movement. The first picture in the frame was of Rosa Parks sitting on a bus looking out the window. Charles said that when he found that picture he wondered what she was looking at and what she was thinking about. Several years later he found a picture of a white family at a KKK rally. The mother and father were in full Klan garb, and their little girl, who was probably two, was standing in between them, her hands holding onto a hand of each parent. The three of them were facing away from the photographer and were watching a burning cross. He put that picture in the other half of the frame with the Rosa Parks picture, so that is looks like she is looking at and thinking about that family.
Reaching for Momma!
12 years ago



2 comments:
I know exactly what you mean. It's amazing that it can still hurt like it did when it happened.
I soooo agree with both of you, Amandas! I am soooo thankful for memories...
Post a Comment