I am a feminist, and as such I have no problem calling something or someone sexist. In fact as a sociologist, sexism is one of those things that I just notice, without even trying to, all the time. With that said, I am getting more than a little bit tired of the McCain campaign referring to every single criticism and/or critic of Governor Palin as sexist.
There has been sexism in this presidential campaign no doubt. Senator Clinton experienced a whole lot of it. Governor Palin has experienced some already. I agree with commentators that in portions of her interview with Charles Gibson, it is fair to call him sexist.
But……today a McCain campaign spokesperson said that Tina Fey’s impersonation of Governor Palin was sexist. Seriously!?! The skit was not exactly flattering, but neither was it sexist.
Governor Palin, as the first female vice presidential candidate on the republican ticket, and perhaps the first female vice president, is going to encounter her fair share of sexism. If the campaign insists on calling every legitimate question about her qualifications and record, every impersonation, and every criticism sexist, the American people are going to miss it when she inevitably encounters actual sexism. They simply won’t care about it anymore.
Reaching for Momma!
12 years ago



3 comments:
I agree...the nation is going to miss what is extremely important for all the media hype on the wrong emphases. I know this is on wikipedia, but you might want to refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geraldine_Ferraro . I believe it was in 1984 when she ran with Mondale. There have been lots of others that have run but not one on a major party national ticket.
Well, as you know, I'm a McCain/Palin supporter myself. But, I have to agree with the premise of your post. That is a valid point. I'm also tired of hearing my friends that are democrats, and Obama supporters, criticize Palin for all kinds of things that have nothing to do with how she would do the job of VP. If they want to critique her political views, record, etc, go for it! Just don't say she shouldn't have accepted the nomination because she has a baby. Give me a break!
PS - That wasn't directed towards you, Amanda!
I didn't know you had any friends other than me and Marcus who are Democrats! Good to hear!
Don't get me started on the whole she can't be VP cause of the baby thing!
Post a Comment