I recently registered my eBay business with the state comptroller’s office so that I can collect sales tax in Texas. Since then I’ve gotten about a million pieces of junk business mail. That is annoying in and of itself, but today I got this letter from a local insurance agent:

He sent that to the wrong West Texas woman. That’s right I am a woman and not a “gentlemen”. (I am also one person) Seriously, when this insurer got my company name it would have been impossible to miss that the company is a sole proprietorship in my name. Amanda is not a gender neutral name.
I don’t know what it is with insurance adjustors in this city, but it is hard to find one who isn’t sexist. The first insurance adjustor we talked to several years ago about term life insurance was the worst. I do the finances in our family, so when Marcus and I were talking with him about our options I was the one asking questions. I would ask him a specific question about the policy and he literally would turn to Marcus and answer the question I asked. Seriously. It was like I was some kind of invisible talking head in the room or something. Unfortunately, there is a lot of this kind of stuff in Abilene.
I don’t know what it is with insurance adjustors in this city, but it is hard to find one who isn’t sexist. The first insurance adjustor we talked to several years ago about term life insurance was the worst. I do the finances in our family, so when Marcus and I were talking with him about our options I was the one asking questions. I would ask him a specific question about the policy and he literally would turn to Marcus and answer the question I asked. Seriously. It was like I was some kind of invisible talking head in the room or something. Unfortunately, there is a lot of this kind of stuff in Abilene.
It is actually more surprising when we don’t encounter this mentality. Marcus and I are repeat buyers from a local Mazda salesman simply because when we were looking at buying our first car, we told him the car was for me and he actually focused on me throughout the rest of the sale. Imagine that. Incidentally when we bought the second car for Marcus, he focused on Marcus (except during the price haggling part because I do that).
Anyway I digress. Since this sexist moron provided me his email address I am working on an email response to him. I’m thinking of including something like “ If I should need insurance for my business, I will choose an insurance adjustor who is aware that we are in the 21st century; you know, a time when a woman can own a business.” What do you think?



0 comments:
Post a Comment